Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ups and Downs

Over the weekend we experienced many ups and downs with Riley. Saturday was a very scary day! Riley's blood pressure dropped in the 30's and her Pulmonary Pressures were too high. Many options were discussed, but in the end the doctors decided to re-open Riley's chest to relieve the pressure. This helped immensely! One option was to put Riley on a heart/lung bypass machine. This did not become necessary and we are so grateful she had a positive response to the surgical procedure.
Throughout any experience Eric and I can remember, we have never been more devastated. But once again the Lord intervened and carried Riley through. We have never prayed so hard (on our knees) for God's strength!

Sunday morning the doctors were amazed at Riley's improvements! The attending physician said "She is 100 times better that she was just 24hrs ago, must have been some magic!" As we all know there was no magic involved, just God's grace! I prayed with a friend last night who said something strange to me. She told me I was one of the luckiest people she knew! I said what are you crazy, why? And she said that I should rejoice knowing that I am totally reliant upon God and the closest to him I could possibly be. She also said that I needed to turn Riley over to God and let him heal her! We know she belongs to HIM first, but I felt I needed to profess this to him. Each time we give God the glory he amazes us!!!

As of now Riley is stable. The goal now is to ween her from her medications (most of which were at the maximum dosages) and try to lower her Pulmonary Pressures. Small changes. Small steps. Slow progress. We need to be patient and wait for her body to adjust to the new structures of her heart!

Thank you all for your comments! Your prayers are so precious to us!

In HIS grip!

9 comments:

  1. The kids and i just finished praying for Riley and for you all. We prayed that God would help you to be strong and to know that he is in control of this. We prayed that God would touch each and every doctor and nurse that lays a hand on Riley and to help them have the strengh and knowledge to know how to care for her. Evan prayed that uncle Eric got to watch the State game, or at least get a newspaper. A small thing to smile about in such a scary time. i am constantly overwhelmed by your faith and in awe of the power God is showing right now. Truly a blessing to watch so many people witness His power and love.
    We love you and are praying many times a day.
    love,
    kelly, jerud, evan and emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny and Eric

    I am so happy that Riley is doing better. Just continue to stay strong and be patient and God will work his wonders. Your love and faith in God will carry you through this. My family and I continue to pray for all of you. You are truly the best parents I know, you make me want to have more kids.....We love you lots and will continue to pray for all of you!

    Love Kimmy and Family XOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny and Eric.....so sorry to hear the weekend has been rough....but glad today Riley showed improvement. When our Bill was so sick, it was definitely pray that got him through and us.....so we know what you're going through. Thanks for the updates.....hope each moment is better than the one before. Beth and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just know that Riley is going to be such a special blessing to your family. I am praying for all of you every day.

    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite all the ups and downs you are experiencing, every sentence you write is pure grace! What great role models you are for your children to show all this strength in the face of adversity. Many happy, healing thoughts to baby Riley. She can feel every bit of your love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys. Glad to hear there was a procedure that relieved some of Riley's physical challenges this weekend. Prayers will continue on the east coast. We are faithful in His grace. I think Nayma has the tri-State area on this :). Keeping you in His grip.
    Linda Lu

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM VERY TOUCHED BY YOUR FAITH,,, YOUR BABY IS VERY BLESSED TO HAVE YOU MON AND DAD,,
    I AM PRAYING FOR YOUR BABY AND YOU TOO MOM AND DAD,,

    GOD BLESS YOU,, MARY

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Catholic Community of St. Judes DeWitt has added Riley to the prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric and Jenny, I tried calling you yesterday; are there practical ways we could help right now?...would you like me to bring you lunch or dinner? Do you have laundry I could wash for you? Would you like company for a short while? I imagine this is an exhausting time for you physically, emotionally, and spiritually. You are constantly in our prayers. Please let me know if we can help in other ways too.
    Love, Jodi

    ReplyDelete