Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Save a Place for Me-Our Song for Riley

Don’t be mad if I cry
It just hurts so bad sometimes
‘Cause everyday it’s sinking in
And I have to say goodbye all over again

You know I bet it feels good to have the weight of this world
Off your shoulders now
I’m dreaming of the day
When I’m finally there with you

Save a place for me
Save a place for me
I’ll be there soon
I’ll be there soon
Save a place for me
Save some grace for me
I’ll be there soon
I’ll be there soon

I have asked the question why
But I guess the answer’s for another time
So instead I’ll pray
With every tear
And be thankful for the time I had you here

And I wanna live my life
Just like you did
Make the most of my time
Just like you did
And I wanna make my home up in the sky
Just like you did
Oh, but until I get there
Until I get there
-Matthew West


We celebrated Riley's life on Monday with a beautiful farewell! Eric and I are OVERWHELMED by the outpouring of support and love we witnessed on that day. The number of family, friends, teachers, neighbors, co-workers, and classmates that came to St. Thomas to remember Riley with us was amazing. Our family is truly blessed by all of you and we are so thankful for all your love. Riley was a beautiful child and we will always mourn her death, but we rejoice in her new life too!

As I was talking with Madeleine tonight about Heaven, she asked me if Riley is a baby in Heaven or is she older? I told her that I didn't know the answer to that question. Although, I do picture her to be old enough to have pigtails in her strawberry hair playing and running all around! My children have great questions and we are praying for God to guide us on how to answer them.

On behalf of our family we would like to thank everyone for every little gift, which may have been a bouquet of flowers, a casserole of dinner, babysitting for our children, a phone call, a letter, or a prayer. We had to lean on everyone we love to get through this time and are so grateful for you all!!!!

In HIS grip!

4 comments:

  1. Jenny and Eric

    What a beautiful farewell for such a beautiful little girl. Every word that was spoken was with such grace. Riley has taught me so much in such a short amount of time, I am a changed woman because of her and I look at so many things differently now. You and Eric are an inspiration to us all, your faith is contagious. I have asked all my friends and family to continue to pray for all of you.
    I LOVE YOU Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric and Jenny, you are handling this with such grace. Thank you for letting God work through you for HIS glory and sharing everything so openly. His fingerprints are all over you! I'm amazed at how you're reflecting Him -- the words you write, photos posted, and eyes that see His glory through your loss. I'm sick that I wasn't at Riley's celebration. When you posted the info it was,of course, the one time when we were out of town all weekend and I didn't check my mail online. I would've loved to have been there with you! Riley's life touched me, my children, husband, and my entire first grade class. The connections to Riley -- because of your blog -- keep coming! God is at work here in bigger ways than you ever imagined, just like you said. I would love to get together and chat about that, someday. Would love to just give you both a hug, too. I continue to pray for you every morning. Remember to acknowledge your pain when it happens, cry, be still. A good friend reminded me of that during Kate's burn surgeries years ago. It's easier said than done some days.
    Stay in HIS grip... there's no place better!
    Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny and Eric: Thank you for allowing us the gift of celebrating Riley's life. It was a beautiful ceremony and one we will never forget. You need to rest your spirit now knowing that you filled Rileys last days with so much love. We love you. Linda and Don Beesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dark heavy heart is lifted with your strength. I felt comfort being close because you are so strong. Thank you for being you and allowing me to see and embrace the grace of Riley and feel true happiness among the sorrow. I see strawberry pig tails too...

    With lots of love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete